Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Books Vs. Movies

Which do people prefer more books or movies based on books?
Some prefer reading because it allows them to fantasize about how the scenes from a story would look, while others prefer movies because it gives them a vivid picture of s the story’s scenes. To some students, books are just a jumble of words on multiple pieces of paper. To others, they are an escape to a magical realm that pulls them out of reality.
But when books gets turned into movies, most of the time the movies don’t follow the plot or live up to the avid fans expectations. For example many students felt like the Twilight series and Harry Potter didn’t live up to their expectations.
Others disagree because they feel that books are more detailed and give them a better grasp of what is going on. Mr.RockBone* stated, “I think books are better [than movies it is] more descriptive and more detailed to get into the character.”
Accordingly, some movies help the readers gain a better understanding of what was happening in the book. For example, “The Great Gatsby” helped some understand some of the literary devices used in the story.
Many students still prefer watching the movie version than reading the book because some students don’t like to read. Freshman Judie Apolinar said, “[I like] movies because I am too lazy to read.”
Some students are in between on personal preference since they feel that people should read the book before the movie to see what the movie left out, missed, or added. Freshman Jasmine Jimenez said, “For movies you can actually see the scenes and people acting them out and books because they give more detail.”
Even though some people prefer one over the other, in the end both are equally appreciated by different types of people.
*name has been changed

1 comment:

  1. The things I think I did well in the story, is having both positions on whether books or movies were better than each other. Also how I used a variety of sources to depict how I wanted to convey whether one was better than the other while not choosing sides. So I guess I have to say that I was neutral on the story and that’s a good thing because you aren’t supposed to pick sides when reporting a story. The things I struggled with was getting really good sources to support each sides of the argument. The evidence was sort of weak so that I didn’t really support the sides well enough. If I could rewrite this article I would have made better arguments for both sides and structure the articles differently. Also I would have written better, in more of a more professional way.

    ReplyDelete