Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Nick LaRocque : Teacher During School Hours & Coach After Hours

  Pre-AP World History teacher Nick LaRocque, known to most students just as Mr. LaRocque, came from the East Coast to teach Pre-AP World History and coach Boys’ Basketball at KIPP San Jose Collegiate, and to cheer on his wife, a PhD student at Stanford, in her academic pursuits.
   This is LaRocque’s fifth year teaching and his second year at a charter school.
LaRocque was inspired to become a teacher by his parents, both of whom were teachers. It seemed like it was the thing for him also. In addition he had two great English and history teachers during high school that impacted him too.
   LaRocque said, “[I] feel like a lot of adults in my life during high school had a big impact on who I am now.”
   LaRocque said that he would like to feel like he contributed to the personal growth of students as a teacher here.
   LaRocque’s outlook on life is to always be positive and to always try to find humor in situation. This may be why most students in his class feel positive about History and enjoy learning from him.
   Damian Parra said, “I feel safe [in Mr. LaRocque’s classroom].”
   Aside from teaching History, LaRocque also coaches the boys’ basketball team. He coached at previous jobs and basketball is favorite sport. LaRocque has also coached wrestling and football in the past.
   He is a very impulsive coach during basketball practice- practice intensity depends on whether the Celtics’ won or lost. LaRocque laughed and agreed when asked about if this was true. LaRocque coached the team to 5 wins to 8 losses this season.
   Junior Sunny Singh said, “He’s a good coach and makes sure everyone is involved all the time and in the games, he notices many things that a lot of coaches wouldn’t notice and this helps the team and the players to adjust on the fly.”
   Fun fact about LaRocque, he likes to eat on his free time is pasta with ketchup and some kind of shredded cheese. Since it was “affordable and taste good during college”.
   LaRocque a happy-go lucky teacher that most students seem to like, and who was named 9th grade teacher of semester. Also he is a coach who could be found around the KSJC campus whenever you want to have a pleasant conversation.

1 comment:

  1. The thing that I like about this article is that I got quotes and was able to show more about who Mr. Larocque was like for school. I feel as if I captured a perspective about him that makes you understand more about Mr. Larocque in a good way. The things I struggled with this article were that I had a hard time finding an angle to write about. It was hard for me to grasp what the article was going to on about. I feel as if I used quotes that didn’t really help the article have an angle. If I could rewrite this article I would have used a more interesting angle because the angle I have for this article isn’t really interesting to read. I also would have chosen better quotes so that it helps the article be more interesting than just be so flat.

    ReplyDelete